8.16.2016

Paris - Oysters & Churches

Find the Church of Saint-Sulpice in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood in the 6th arrondissement.
An epic platter of fresh oysters and shrimp at Huîtrerie Régis in Paris.


I spent a few days wandering in and around the Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood in Paris. I had two fantastic meals plus some extraordinary sweets. Oysters were at the top of my Paris eats wishlist and, after some research, I chose Huîtrerie Régis to make it happen.

Afternoon drinks and games on the streets of Paris.


A close up of the fantastics oysters you'll find at Huitrerie Régis.
The oysters at Huitrerie Régis are delivered fresh from the famous oyster fields of Marennes-Oléron


It's a tiny spot, six tables inside and a few more on the street. I arrived right after opening, around noon, and the restaurant was almost empty, just one table of three. Reviews indicate it fills up fast during prime time, so definitely come early. The menu is an exercise in minimalism, all oysters, fresh as can be. Sometimes shrimp and sea urchin are available as well, but they're essentially garnish. According to Paris by Mouth, the oysters are shipped in daily from Marennes-Oléron, a famous oyster cultivation region on the Western coast of France.

Oysters at Huitrerie Régisare don't need much, but they're served with plenty of lemon and a vinegar mignonette.


It  was my first meal of the day and my eyes were certainly bigger than my stomach. I ordered a tasting platter of six Fines de Claires and six Spéciale de Claires, plus six enormous pink shrimp. I wanted to try everything! The oysters were truly the very best I have tasted, though, admittedly, my oyster oeuvre is sadly limited. I slightly preferred the Spéciale de Claires, which were plumper and sweeter than the briny, more mineral Fines. But both were excellent. I took mine plain or with a spritz of lemon, forgoing the classic mignonette.

Unnecessary, but also delicious was the sesame studded bread with salted butter. And shrimp, too. On any other day the shrimp would have been the star of the show but in my refusal to waste any food, they left me overstuffed.

The Church of Saint-Sulpice with its mis-matched towers.


Huîtrerie Régis is tucked away on a small side street off of Boulevard Saint-Germain, just a few blocks from my next destination, the Church of Saint-Sulpice. The church provided the perfect respite for my overextended stomach. Though cool, dark, and peaceful, it is very much a working church with a staff and active worshipers. It's a crumbly old building, much in need of renovations, but with an intriguing, tangible sense of history. An interesting contrast to the bustling square outside. Full of tourists, students, nannies and their charges, business people on their lunch breaks-- a great spot for people watching.

Inside the Church of Saint-Sulpice, located in the heart of the Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood.
'Jacob Wrestling with the Angel' a mural by Delacroix fills one of the chapels at the Church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris.
Lots and lots of history below your feet.
The candles of worshippers are ever present at the Church of Saint-Sulpice.
The courtyard outside of the Church of Saint-Sulpice is perfect for picnicking and people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...